Attend Execution Vigils
Vigils for the victims and the condemned will be held throughout the state on the evenings of executions. Locations for vigils are listed below.
Please contact VADP if you are interested in coordinating a vigil in your area at # 434-960-7779 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
GREENSVILLE CORRECTIONAL CENTER
Execution site – Jarratt, VA
Gather at 8:30 pm end by 9:30 pm
The Greensville Correctional Center is located near the town of Jarratt in Sussex County.
- Jarratt is at exit 20 off I-95, 55 miles south of Richmond, and 20 miles north of the North Carolina border.
- After taking exit 20 turn right at the end of the exit ramp if coming from Richmond (turn left if coming from Emporia). The first stop sign is at the intersection with US 301. There are convenience stores at the intersection, which have rest facilities (there are no rest facilities for us at the prison).
- Turn left (south) onto 301 and go eight-tenths of a mile.
- Turn right on the state road 397, Ridge Road (there is a marker for Greensville Correctional Center).
- Cross the railroad tracks and you’ll soon see the prison gate.
- Park in the field on the right hand side.
- Bring a flashlight and bug repellent, depending on the weather.
Those needing or willing to provide a carpool, please call VADP at # 434-960-7779.
Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington
4444 Arlington Blvd
(The church is located at the corner of Arlington Blvd and George Mason Drive. A map and directions are available at: http://www.uucava.org/page/locations-and-directions)
Time: Vigil will be held from 8:45 to 9:15pm.
Contact Person: Elise Cleva, email@example.com.
Protest: Charlottesville Circuit Courthouse, 12:00 pm
315 E.High Street
Virginia Rovynak: (540) 456-6930
Vigil: Charlottesville Friends Meeting House, 8:45 pm
1104 Forest Street
Ann Benner: firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church
Rt. 123 and Fairfax Station Road
Vigil takes place in the Grotto area outside the historic church.
Time: 8:30-9:15 pm.
Contact Person: Christina Benedi, email@example.com.
St. George Episcopal Church (905 Princess Anne Street) from 8:30 to 9:30pm. For details, contact Debbie Simpson at (540) 379-0113.
The Harrisonburg Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Committee plans to hold vigils beginning at 8:45pm on the night of each execution, on the south side of Court Square.
Chris Edwards: (540) 434-0457, (540) 578-5467, firstname.lastname@example.org
Linda Royster (540) 383-7080, email@example.com
Peace Pole (at Lee Ave. and Grant Ave.) 8:45-9:45 p.m.
Jeff & Sharon Haydon: (703) 369-3407
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, 100 Harpersville Rd, 8:30 pm
Tina M. Wandersee: (757) 595-0385 ext. 118
Norfolk City Jail – St. Paul’s Blvd. and City Hall Ave. from 5-6 p.m
Contact Kim or Steve at the Norfolk Catholic Worker: (757) 423-5420
Location: St. John Neumann Catholic Church, 11900 Lawyers Road, Reston, VA 20191
Time: 8:30 p.m.
Contact person: Bob More, (703) 255-7081, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Richmond Friends Meeting, 4500 Kensington Avenue, Richmond
Time: 8:30 pm
Contact person: Margaret Rittenhouse, (804) 690-4942, Margaret.Rittenhouse@gmail.com.
There will be two vigils in Roanoke, both in downtown Roanoke in front of the City Market Building on Campbell Ave. The first will be from noon-1pm and the second from 8:45-9:15pm.
For more information, contact Gene Edmunds at (540) 343-3100 or email@example.com.
Location: Church of the Ascension
4853 Princess Anne Road
Contact Person: AnnMarie Beatty, firstname.lastname@example.org.
St Paul United Methodist Church, 1400 G. Street, 8:30 – 9:15pm
Mike Wilson: (703) 680-4972, email@example.com